For OTT, Machine Learning Image is Worth More Than a Thousand Words

So, you’ve developed an OTT app and you’ve marketed it to your viewers.  Now your focus is on keeping your viewers watching.  How can machine learning drive more engagement? Let’s face it—they may have a favorite show or two, but to keep them engaged for the long term, they need to be able to discover new shows. Discovery InfiniGraph KRAKEN Video Machine LearningBecause OTT is watched on TVs, you have a lot of real estate to engage with your viewers.  A video’s thumbnail has more of an impact on OTT than any other platform, so choose your thumbnails carefully!

Discovery is different on different platforms

On desktop, most videos start with either a search (e.g. Google) or via a social share (e.g. Facebook).  Headlines and articles provide additional info to get a viewer to cognitively commit to watching a video.  Autoplay runs rampant removing the decision to press “play” from the user.

TVs have a lot more real estate than smartphones

TVs have a lot more real estate than smartphones

On a smartphone, small screen size is an issue.  InfiniGraph’s machine learning data shows that more than three objects in a thumbnail will cause a reduction in play rates.  Again, social plays a huge role in the discovery of new content, with some publishers reporting that almost half of their mobile traffic originates from Facebook.

OTT Discovery is Unique

The discovery process on OTT is unique because the OTT experience is unique.  Most viewers already have something in mind when they turn on their OTT device.  In fact, Hulu claims that they can predict with a 70% accuracy the top three shows each of their users is tuning in to see.  But what about the other 30%?  What about the discovery of new shows?

Netflix AB Test Example

Netflix AB Test Example

Netflix has said that if a user can’t find something to watch in 30 seconds, they’ll leave the platform.  They decided to start A/B testing their thumbnails to see what impact it would have, and discovered that different audiences engage with different images.  They were able to increase view rates by 20-30% for some videos by using better images!  In the on-demand world of OTT, the right image is the difference between a satisfied viewer and a user who abandons your platform. If you’re interested in increasing engagement on your OTT app, reach out to us at InfiniGraph to learn more about our machine learning technology named KRAKEN that chooses the best images for the right audience, every single time.  Also, check out our post about increasing your video ad inventory!

More on machine learning powered image selection and driving more video views.